How to Shorten a Walking Stick Cane
If you’ve purchased a cane that is too tall for you, it’s important to measure and cut it carefully to avoid any accidents or discomfort. Canes cannot be lengthened, so you need to ensure that you take accurate measurements and cut the cane properly to fit your needs.
Measuring Your Walking Stick Cane
To measure your cane, follow these steps:
- Wear your regular walking shoes when measuring your cane to ensure an accurate fit for your height and stride.
- Stand naturally upright for an accurate measurement of your walking cane. This ensures the correct fit and comfort while walking.
- Let your arms fall naturally to your sides with a normal bend at the elbow.
- Turn the cane upside down and place the handle on the floor.
- Have a second person mark the shaft of the cane at the bottom crease of your wrist.
Cutting Your Cane
Once you have measured your cane, it’s time to cut it to the correct size. Here are the steps to follow:
- Most canes come with a rubber tip. Gently twist the rubber tip until it comes off.
- Make the cut where the mark was made on the cane.
- Clean the cane and Replace the rubber tip to provide traction and stability on different surfaces.
- If you don’t have tools to cut the cane, many local hardware stores will cut it for you. Some stores do it for free, while others may charge a nominal fee. Be sure to check with them beforehand.